As India’s growing IT hub, it’s no surprise that Bangalore offers a growing number of free public WiFi hotspots. From Kempegowda International Airport to various restaurants and coffeeshops around the city, both tourists and locals have plenty of opportunities to stay connected while in “The Silicon Valley of India.”
However, outside of the popular WiFi cafes and coworking spaces, there are also several free hotspots in surprising places. Check out our list of 7 places around Bangalore where you wouldn’t expect to find free WiFi, and enjoy these hidden gems next time you’re out and about in the city.
1. Fast food restaurants – Next time you’re at KFC or McDonald’s to get your fix of fast food, take advantage of their free WiFi as well! In fact, both franchises offer free public hotspots to customers at all of their locations across India. Not bad!
2. Cabs – Both Ola and Uber have begun offering free WiFi in several of their cabs across Bangalore as they compete to provide the best on-demand transportation experiences. Ola, for instance, allows users to connect without needing to log in after completing a one-time authentication on their phones during their first connection.
3. KSRTC bus station – The Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC) began offering free WiFi at 13 of its largest bus stations across the state, including the Bangalore station. The connection lasts for either one hour or 100 MB of usage, whichever comes first. An excellent way to pass time while waiting to catch a bus!
4. Brewpubs – In addition to serving up delicious craft beer, many of the city’s popular brewpubs like Toit and Arbor offer reliable, free WiFi to their patrons. With great ambiance, ample seating and fast WiFi, many of Bangalore’s brewpubs are surprisingly great places to work remotely during the day — especially if you’d like to reward yourself with an afternoon beer (or two).
5. Chinnaswamy Stadium – Cricket fans, you’re in luck! Chinnaswamy Stadium now offers free WiFi to fans throughout the entire stadium. You can look up stats, check email or Instagram from the match without burning through your mobile data!
6. Malls – Bangaloreans can enjoy complimentary WiFi as they shop at many of the city’s malls, from Orion Mall in Malleshwaram to Phoenix Market City in Whitefield. Shop til’ you drop and, if you can’t find something in-store, order it from FlipKart right then and there.
7. Ice cream parlors – Wind down after dinner with a decadent ice cream sundae… and some good ‘ol free WiFi. Several ice cream shops across Bangalore such as Berry’d Alive, Stoner and Cream Stone have begun offering the complimentary service to ice cream lovers as the cherry on top of their visit.
Download WiFire and connect to these public hotspots across Bangalore with a single tap—no need to fumble over one-time-passwords (OTPs) at Chinnaswamy or ask for the network password while ordering ice cream. Enjoy!